Heading

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

BUILDING BETTER READERS!







I was honored to be the guest “Artist/Author” for Family Fun Night at Mt. Olive Elementary School.  Title 1 Reading Teacher, Mary Griffel and I planned the event to co-ordinate with the book, IGGY PECK, ARCHITECT, written by fellow SCBWI-IL author, Andrea Beaty.  After the kiddos heard the story, they explored various architecture stations where, using mostly recycled materials, they created a variety of structures.  While the students were busy building, the parents attended sessions with the school's reading teachers who offered tips on how to “Build Better Readers”.  It was a wonderful evening. I’d like to thank the students, staff, teachers and volunteers who helped make the event a huge success!

2 comments:

  1. What a great theme and book choice. It really looks like fun. I'm going to pass this along to my sister who is a fabulous kindergarten teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked like this was a great program. Children love these type of hands-on activities and it is so helpful to talk to parents to give them simple ideas to continue the love of reading at home. Most parents want to help and when they have concrete strategies and examples it makes it enjoyable for all.

    Sallie, I bet your sister will love doing this. (I was a Kindergarten teacher and this is an activity that I would definitely do. I could easily find several standards that this activity would apply.)

    ReplyDelete